me, the writer

What have I improved on as a writer?
Genres

Poetry is a genre of writing that I’ve always enjoyed. Despite my love for the poetic, I could never write poetry up to the standard I idealized. I admit that I am a bit picky with my writing. Poetry just never managed to cut it out for me.

I realize now, more than ever, why I could never write poetry. I always pictured rhyming as the typical ABAB, and never saw poetry as something more. Today, I love free-verse poetry more than anything. I failed to let myself get absorbed into my own writing, as I would with a typical short story. I was stuck by the boundaries of a rhyme scheme I could never replicate. I love poetry, but it only happened when I learned how to love the meaning behind it.

Ideas

Ideally, the one genre that I favor is love. My blog seems to be stricken under a love spell of some sort, as I usually write with my heart on my sleeve.

I decided that I wanted to tackle something new this semester. I knew, from the bottom of my heart, that I wanted to pull off a murder story. Along with love, I love horror; yet, I’ve never been one to pull off a classic horror story that I genuinely liked. I wrote a short story with murder undertones a few days ago. I don’t think it’s the best of my work, but I’m genuinely glad that I got to write something I’ve always wanted.

gumps

Prior to this class, I had the basic knowledge of the proper use of grammar. Noredink has helped me tremendously. I admit that I’m one of the few people who actually like to use the website. I get an overwhelming sense of pride every-time I look at my quiz and test averages.

Despite receiving grammar worksheets almost my whole school-life, they never really helped me. In fact, I would get frustrated at them and write really big in retaliation (which is extremely scary, considering I write super small). Noredink is the holy grail of grammar guidance. I never got mad at it, or typed answers in all caps. I know how to use a semicolon and colon now, which is quite exciting.

++

How would you explain your voice? What is stylistic of you?

VOICE + STYLE

Writing has always been a creative outlet for me. When I’m sad, I write. When I’m happy, I write. When I’m inspired, I write. My writing, for most of my life, has been based off of one emotion only. My sad writing is a mess, let me say that.

I had a voice through my writing, surely; but, I never took it to the next step. I knew that forcing my writing through a school criteria would do the trick. Through school could I develop my own writing character, because school makes me work harder. I write for fun, and that is all I ever saw it as. I lacked the proper guidance to write how I wanted; and, I’m the person who needs a certain criteria and deadline to fulfill the desires I have.

I found a love for symbolism and metaphors while writing this semester. I reference the “celestial bodies” quite often. I never noticed it at first, at least until I was at the final mark of June. It is never intentional, but, like some forces of habit, I always go back to the one factor I love to write about: the sun, the moon, and the stars.

Most of all, I learned that writing can never just be sad, happy, or any other singular emotion. Writing has depth and power beyond emotions. I want to allow a reader to go through the rollercoaster of nostalgia and emotion through my own writing.

++

As a mentor writer, what advice would you give to future creative writers?

My holy grail of writing advice: don’t be afraid to explore your writing boundaries. The point of being a creative writer is to write creatively. No one wants to read the same reused ideas over and over again. Try something new with your writing; besides, you’ll never know if you enjoy it or not until you try it.

I’m not saying that reusing an idea is terrible. For example, I write about love until my heart is sucked dry. Despite this, I try my best to write about love with different formats, ideas, and techniques. Writing is universal. Try to expand your horizon of ideas, and write something unique.

++

Future goals and plans regarding writing?

For the future, I want to write more into the depths of thriller, horror, and murder mystery. It bothers me – to the core – that I can’t write good in a genre that I love. Overall, I would like to write better in terms of proper grammar, structure flow, and detail. These factors would make my writing a lot more smooth and easygoing.

Plus, I’m failing in the “detail” category of my writing. I’m starting to think that I skip over that part entirely.

· 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚.

Next.